Mar 10, 2014

WWARD (aka: What Would a Runner Do)?

Ever wonder what your hips and ass would feel like if squeezed into a vice grip for hours?  Me either... until today.  I'm pretty sure it would be close to what I currently feel like after running my first 5K.

This adventure was the result of me thinking of new, fun ways to bond with the boys.  A 5K sounded like a great idea to do with Sam.  One would think after my camping idea years ago (you can catch that adventure here), that I would just stick to "movie night" or "dinner".  No, I go all in and decide to run 3.1 miles.  The catch here:  We. Don't. Run.  Sam at least works out in Kung Fu... the last thing I ran was "out of gas".  But I committed (aka: paid for it AND joined a "team").

No turning back

RACE TRAINING (my way):
3 weeks from race I took a TRX class - you know, to train.  Both boys supported me by telling me I was going to die.  I hugged them and made sure they had my cell in case they had to break this news to Kevin.
2 weeks out I was going to run on a treadmill... but they were all being used that night.  So out of guilt, I did TRX again- and hoped I could run this race with my arms since that was what we worked on.
1 week out I was in the "active" section of TJ Maxx staring at 5,000 options of athletic pants, wondering "what do runners wear?", and convinced myself that a fanny pack seemed logical.
4 days out I was making green tutu's with the "team".
2 days out I was grocery shopping with Sam when he spotted neon orange sneakers and said he needed them (I guess running in high tops he already owns is not an option) and since I clearly have no idea what runners wear, I caved.
1 day out I picked up our race packets (ooh swag!) and then spent the night with friends and wine - which seems to be what "runners do" (if you read this article).  Somewhere around 2am that morning, Kevin nicely forced water and tylenol into my system (good call honey)

Then it was race day...and this people, is what runners wear... in my house at least:

Before the Race

Team Clark-n-Friends

So today, while I waddle around worse than when I was pregnant, I ponder the lessons learned from this adventure...
1.  I did it!  And ran the whole way so, for that, I am proud of myself
2.  Though we didn't "bond" per-say - since Sam was a good 1-2 min ahead of me the whole time - I observed the young man he is becoming.  He didn't "need" me: he ran on his own time, he found his friends along the way, he made new ones, he stood out in his orange (and was proud of it), he finished with a smile and was right there with a hug when I crossed.  So, I guess we did bond, just in a different way.
3.  Running a 5K cures a hangover

And since we are already looking into other 5K/Fun Runs, maybe my crazy, adventurous, mommy/son bonding ideas aren't so crazy after all...

No time for a Frosty people, I'm running!

A cross between a jazz hand and spirit fingers

Leaving mommy in the dust

We finished... and got free water!


2 comments:

  1. I love this. You are a great Mama! And so much fun and so creative. I think you are awesome Jenn!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Colleen! I think you are pretty freakin' awesome as well!

      Delete