Feb 28, 2014

Hunger Games Themed Tween Party

In our family, it is tradition to have themed parties - ok, maybe not "tradition" but more of "my obsession".  This obsession is clearly genetic and the lucky offspring winner of this trait - Sam!  At first he would just agree or disagree with the themes, but lately, he's dictated (demanded even) what he wants.  He designs the cakes that I then have to make.  He wants approval on location and decor.  He's bossy... and deep down - I LOVE it.  I love the challenge - even when I want to chuck the cakes out the window.

For 12, he wanted Hunger Games.  Perfect, I thought.  He's 12, Katniss/Peeta are from District 12 - awesome!  While I didn't do a big theme cake for our family party, I did do a themed buffet and cupcakes.  And before you think I got let off the hook on cake, there's a kid party coming up and, as Sam puts it, there will be cake (see, bossy).

Using flea market finds for serving ware, leftover holiday party decor for the mockingjays and my mom's Valentine's roses from dad, the buffet table looked fit for even Effie!

Menu:
Make your own sandwiches and salad
Pita bread and hummus
Tracker Jacker Cupcakes:  Lemon cupcakes with a honey buttercream frosting, drizzled with honey and chocolate
Girl on Fire Cupcakes:  Chocolate cupcakes with raspberry buttercream frosting, sprayed with gold edible paint and gold edible glitter
Apple Cider (for kids) and Hard Apple Cider (for kids over 21)



No comments:

Post a Comment